Six years ago my mom faced some health challenges that initiated her interest and later newly found passion for health and nutrition. Through her I've learned a lot and I'm grateful that she has educated me with the knowledge she has gained. This past weekend I had the chance to attend a free seminar given by Green Smoothie Girl with a few of my close girlfriends. She, like my mom, made lifestyle changes after experiencing health issues firsthand. Green Smoothie Girl shared some really interesting stories and studies that prove the importance of incorporating whole/raw foods into your everyday diet. Let me tell you that I have been converted! I am a believer! Maybe I'm just gullible, but it just makes sense. Of course raw, natural foods that come from the earth are going to be healthier than processed, cooked foods. Live enzymes are proven to help the body prevent/fight diseases and maintain the perfect balance that the body needs to live a long, healthy, and disease free life! Total epiphany! PS- did you know that raw kale removes 7 times its weight in toxins from the body??? Way cool! So I came home and unloaded everything that I learned at this seminar onto my husband. He rolled his eyes and had fun playing devil's advocate for a bit, but generally agreed that it makes sense. With a husband who's slightly on board, or at least supportive of me doing it, I have decided to feed my family at least 1 whole/raw food meal per day. The great thing about this is that 1) they are easiest and tastiest in the form of a smoothie. Perfect for a toddler to eat too! and 2) I already have an amazing Vitamix blender (thanks to my mom) that can blend just about anything and 3) I have some friends who are just as excited as I am about this. So let the fun begin! Here is Green Smoothie Girl's Hot Pink Smoothie that's entirely raw and absolutely delicious that I'd like to share:
1 cup 100% coconut water
1/2 cup ice
1 carrot
1/2 beet
1/4 cup chopped dates
1/4 cup raw cashews
1 cup of frozen strawberries
1/2 tsp vanilla
I have heard of the Green smoothie girl! I am going to try this smoothie! Thanks for sharing! and do share more when you find good ones!
ReplyDeleteBeware that it is kind of an acquired taste because the carrots, beets, and coconut water have a different texture/taste. By the third time I had it I was hooked though! You could also add a little apple juice or orange juice to get you started too.
ReplyDeleteYum! I will have to try that one. We too have been trying to incorporate raw/whole foods. It can be difficult but we all feel so much better even Cory who was not on board at first. Its amazing just by simply eating the right foods our bodies function so much better. I hope you don't mind I'm reading your blog. :) Good luck!
ReplyDeleteAre you kidding! Of course I don't mind. I have your blog linked on my page too. At first I thought you were my sis in law because her name is Amy and my brother's name is Cory:). I couldn't agree more! Raw foods make you feel so much better!
ReplyDelete