Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Few More Changes

Some might say that Matt and I have a problem.  An addicted to remodeling kinda problem.  I won't disagree that we love to do home projects.  It may in fact be our number one hobby at the moment.  But now it's time to find a new hobby.  I'm happy to say that the remodeling, as in the tear out walls, move electrical, cover the entire house in dust type of remodeling, has now come to an end on our current home.  With two little ones its just too much mess to deal with (honestly there are no more of those major projects left to do either). I feel out of sorts during it all.  I obsess over the details, try to keep the kids out of the way, never find the time to workout, and pretty much feel like I'm neglecting my children.  By the end of each remodel I'm so relieved just to have it over.  Although I will say that its worth all of that for the end result of having a home just the way we want it.  Plus I have an amazing husband who works extraordinarily fast.  Over Christmas we made big changes in our master bathroom, laundry, and baby's room in about 8 weeks.  Then shortly after completing that project we moved right into the expansion of our second story, which took another 4 weeks.  It's been a crazy Winter around here!

Here are a few photos during the project.  They really don't do it justice because it was a really ugly bathroom with clam shell sinks, brass fixtures, peach tile everywhere, and a tiny little shower where my new make up vanity is now.  We took our previous closet and transformed it into our new double head shower (we could literally fit the whole family in there!), and busted through the closet wall where the double doors are now and used the baby's room as our new closet and laundry room.  I absolutely love it!








During the bathroom project, I decided to take advantage of the mess and make even more of a mess by painting our entryway, dining room, and stairwell a lighter wall color than the rest of our house.  I was hoping that it would feel more welcoming than the previous color and I think I accomplished that.  I also tackled painting our crown molding (which had been looming over my head for at least 6 months) and ceiling.  You may or may not know that I am the family painter.  Pretty much every wall has been painted at least once, if not twice since we've moved in.



I forgot to mention that we spiced up our dining room with a tray ceiling, brick wall, and a new light fixture for some added glam.


Finally, is our upstairs expansion.  We were able to add on an additional 700 square feet with this one.  It's pretty amazing how much untapped space there was up there.  Matt could envision its potential through all the insulation, AC ducts, electrical, and plumping that covered the "floor" of the attic.  I don't think anyone else would have looked at it with so much excitement as Matt did.  Quite the talent I say.  So what you see in the picture below is the doorway that enters into the new space.  To the left is a huge food storage closet and full bathroom.  Straight ahead is some toy storage. And to the right is a massive guest suite, with a cute little nook (my favorite part of the space) that can fit a queen sized mattress for additional sleeping, and our guests very own 42" TV (Matt's excuse to get a bigger TV downstairs:), and more storage.  We had some fun switching it up with the Natural Acacia flooring too.  I love all the pattern.  It's perfect this space.







And last but not least I was able to score some new living room furniture out of the upstairs addition.  I finally feel like a grown up now that I have a real set of living room furniture.  The black chairs are my favorite.  I like to think of them as my Mad Men chairs.


Now that all the big projects are completed we can add all the finishing touches.  Now that's the fun stuff!  It makes me giddy just thinking about it!





5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Few comments, 1) This is incredible 2) I hope I can leverage these skills when I renovate a home!!! - Jill

      Delete
  2. Dana that house looks amazing. You guys seriously do a great job on everything you do. I absolutely love it. -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy MACKEREL!!!! I haven't been on anyone's blog in forever but I'm so glad I came on to peek at yours! Your home is GORGEOUS! You guys did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! It's so much fun for us to do. And with Matt's awesome skills, resourcefulness, and contacts it makes sense to do home projects so we can enjoy it and add value to our home.

    ReplyDelete